Sunday, May 6, 2012

Dumpster Diving

Should be an Olympic sport. If it were, i'd have taken gold this weekend for sure. Lets write up the catch shall we?

2 nights ago:
-3' Mini Fridge
-Small Dvd Player
-Bamboo and Metal Stand
-Window Fan with small crack in it
-Multi-layer Cat Scratch Post (For my friend)
-Swivel Computer Chair
-Box or free food and cans of coke (Not in the dumpster but outside the dorm door)

Last night:
-2 more (smaller) mini fridges
-Cool skull & crossbones carpet
-1 House lamp
-2 Bedside lamps
-Brand new vacuum cleaner
-Brita water filter
-3 bottles of laundry detergent
-Bathroom rack
-Shower rack
-Bike parts galore (Nothing great, but they make for good replacement parts)

Things left to me from roommates and friends:
-TONS of food
-Couple bottles of wine/beer/assorted alcohols
-Queen size bed
-Bookcase
-Another vacuum
-Swiffer sweeper and mop
-A couple pots and pans
-A toaster
-A lamp

Tonight? Only one way to find out.

I truly am supremely happy that all this stuff is now mine, but it does leave a bad taste in my mouth. Think about it.

All this was thrown away.

I've always known that America is the most wasteful country, and I still believe that. But this past couple nights of seeing what people just get rid of has shown me the extent of our wastefulness. Its almost sickening at how much stuff is just discarded because someone doesn't want it or can't take it with them. And everything listed above is just the stuff that I wanted; there was plenty more things that were in just as good of condition. I feel like I am doing a service to my community by recycling this unwanted stuff. (As well as training myself for scavenging during the apocalypse)

1 comment:

  1. HAhahah you sir, are ridiculous!!

    But good job with your findings.
    You're on my team on Z-Day.

    ReplyDelete